Ir al contenido principal

Post-festival Hangover / La resaca post-festival

The 64th Internationa Film Festival in San Sebastian has finished and most of us, we're back to our routine. As each year, I've tried to see as many films as possible and I made my choices carefully. Generally, I'm very satisfied with the level. Not only most of the films were really good, some of them I want to see again.

There are 3 films that have called my attention more than the others and I had really high expectations about them. It's not really surprising that all 3 have literary connections! Take a look at my thoughts on them and if you've seen them too, please comment!


El 64 ° Festival International de Cine de San Sebastián ha terminado y la mayoría de nosotros, estamos de vuelta a nuestra rutina. Como cada año, he tratado de ver tantas películas como me ha sido posible eligiéndolas con mucho cuidado. En general, estoy muy satisfecha con el nivel. La mayoría de las películas eran muy buenas, algunas de ellas, incluso, las pienso ver otra vez.
Hay 3 películas que han llamado mi atención más que las demás. Tenía muchas expectativas sobre ellas. ¡En realidad no es sorprendente que las 3 tengan conexiones literarias! ¡Echad un vistazo a mis reflexiones sobre ellas y si las habeis visto, por favor comentar!

1. A Quiet Passion



A British-American biographical film directed and written by Terence Davies about the life of American poet Emily Dickinson. The film stars Cynthia Nixon (Miranda from Sex and the City) as the reclusive American poet Emily Dickinson. The first critics were quite good, which I find quite surprising. Don't get me wrong: personally I enjoyed it a lot, but, undeniable, it is not a mainstream film and many would find it simply boring and bizarre. Even so, I would rate it 4/5. We shouldn't forget that what seems pretentious to us, was most probably real when Dickinson was alive. Also Davis overcomes the greatest challenge of all: he manages to portray a woman who has spent all her life indoors, in one house, without making it a drag! Not only that, it perfectly shows women's struggle to live life equal to men, or at least the one that would be satisfying. Some scenes are truly heartbreaking. However, there are some things that could be done better. Especially Dickinson's poetry somehow stands out but in a negative way: given as a voice off it seems disconnected from the whole pictures at moments. An exception here would be final scenes of the film, where both the poetry, the music and the picture melt together into one powerful emotional incentive. 



Una película biográfica británico-estadounidense dirigida y escrita por Terence Davies sobre la vida de la poeta estadounidense Emily Dickinson. La película protagonizada por Cynthia Nixon (Miranda de Sexo en Nueva York) como la solitaria poeta estadounidense Emily Dickinson. Las primeras críticas fueron bastante buenas, cosa que me parece bastante sorprendente. No me malinterpreteis: personalmente me gustó mucho, pero es innegable que no es una película de masas, y muchos la encontrarían simplemente aburrida y extraña. Aun así, yo le daría 4/5. No hay que olvidar que lo que parece pretencioso para nosotros, era más probable cuando Dickinson estaba viva. También Davis supera el mayor reto de todos: retrata a una mujer que pasó toda su vida en el interior, en una casa, sin que sea un lastre! No sólo eso, se nota perfectamente la lucha de las mujeres por vivir la vida igual que los hombres, o al menos una satisfactoria. Algunas escenas son realmente desgarradoras. Sin embargo, hay algunas cosas que se podrían haber hecho mejor. Sobre todo la poesía de Dickinson de alguna manera destaca, pero de una manera negativa: como una voz en off que parece estar desconectada de lo que vemos en la pantalla en muchos momentos. Una excepción de este caso serían escenas finales de la película, donde tanto la poesía, la música y la imagen se funden en un solo incentivo emocional de gran alcance.

Because I could not stop for Death – (479)






Because I could not stop for Death,
He kindly stopped for me;
The carriage held but just ourselves
And Immortality.

We slowly drove, he knew no haste,
And I had put away
My labour, and my leisure too,
For his civility.

We passed the school where children played,
Their lessons scarcely done;
We passed the fields of gazing grain,
We passed the setting sun.

We paused before a house that seemed
A swelling of the ground;
The roof was scarcely visible,
The cornice but a mound.

Since then 'tis centuries; but each
Feels shorter than the day
I first surmised the horses' heads
Were toward eternity.
No pude detenerme ante la muerte.





Porque no pude detenerme ante la muerte,
amablemente ella se detuvo ante mí;
el carruaje solo nos encerraba a nosotros
y a la inmortalidad.
Condujimos lentamente, ella no sabe de apuros;
y por su cortesía debí abandonar mis labores e incluso mis ratos de ocio.
Pasamos por la escuela donde jugaban los niños
Sus lecciones apenas concluidas;
pasamos frente a los campos de pastoreo
y ante el sol que se ponía,
Nos detuvimos ante una casa que parecía
una hinchazón de la tierra;
su techo, solo visible,
su cornisa, apenas un montículo.
Desde entonces han pasado siglos;
pero cada uno parece más corto
que el día en que anuncié por vez primera
que las cabezas de los caballos
apuntaban hacia la eternidad.



2. Neruda



I wanted to like it so much and as a result, my frustration at the end was huge! It's full of artificiality, distracts the viewer with more than pretentious narrative. Luis Gnecco as Neruda is convincing and together with Mercedes Morán (Neruda's Argentinian wife Delia del Carril) they are the brightest elements of the film. Gael Garcia Bernal (who is also responsible for producing that disappointment) as an invented police prefect Oscar Peluchonneau on the poet’s trail is unsatisfactory and in my opinion doesn't add anything valuable to the story. An invention that should have been left over. I would give it just 2/5, but there are many who praise it, so probably you should see it for yourselves.



¡Quería tanto que me gustase y como resultado, mi frustración al final fué enorme! Está llena de artificialidad, distrae al espectador con una narrativa muy pretenciosa. Luis Gnecco como Neruda es convincente y, junto con Mercedes Morán (esposa argentina de Neruda Delia del Carril) son los elementos más brillantes de la película. Gael García Bernal (que también es responsable de la producción de esa decepción) como prefecto de policía, inventado Oscar Peluchonneau, en rastro del poeta no es satisfactorio y en mi opinión no añade nada de valor a la historia. Un invento que sobraba en esa historia. Yo le daría sólo 2/5, pero hay muchos que lo alaban, así que probablemente deberiais verlo y juzgarlo vosotros mismos.

XX

por Pablo Neruda
Puedo escribir los versos más tristes esta noche.
Escribir, por ejemplo: "La noche está estrellada,
y tiritan, azules, los astros, a los lejos."
El viento de la noche gira en el cielo y canta.
Puedo escribir los versos más tristes esta noche.
Yo la quise, y a veces ella también me quiso.
En las noches como ésta la tuve entre mis brazos.
La besé tantas veces bajo el cielo infinito.
Ella me quiso, a veces yo también la quería.
Cómo no haber amado sus grandes ojos fijos.
Puedo escribir los versos más tristes esta noche.
Pensar que no la tengo. Sentir que la he perdido.
Oír la noche inmensa, más inmensa sin ella.
Y el verso cae al alma como al pasto el rocío.
Qué importa que mi amor no pudiera guardarla.
La noche está estrellada y ella no está conmigo.
Eso es todo. A lo lejos alguien canta. A lo lejos.
Mi alma no se contenta con haberla perdido.
Como para acercarla mi mirada la busca.
Mi corazón la busca, y ella no está conmigo.
La misma noche que hace blanquear los mismos árboles.
Nosotros, los de entonces, ya no somos los mismos.
Ya no la quiero, es cierto, pero cuánto la quise.
Mi voz buscaba el viento para tocar su oído.
De otro. Será de otro. Como antes de mis besos.
Su voz, su cuerpo claro. Sus ojos infinitos.
Ya no la quiero, es cierto, pero tal vez la quiero.
Es tan corto el amor, y es tan largo el olvido.
Porque en noches como ésta la tuve entre mis brazos,
mi alma no se contenta con haberla perdido.
Aunque éste sea el último dolor que ella me causa,
y éstos sean los últimos versos que yo le escribo.

XX

Translated by Charles W. Johnson
Tonight I can write the most sorrowful lines.
I can write, for example: "The night is star-filled
and the blue stars are shivering in the distance."
The night wind turns in the sky and sings.
Tonight I can write the most sorrowful lines.
I loved her then, and sometimes she loved me back.
Through nights like tonight I held her in my arms.
I kissed her and kissed her under endless skies.
She loved me then, and sometimes I loved her back.
How could I not love her giant, still eyes?
Tonight I can write the most sorrowful lines.
I can think I'm not holding her. I can regret that I lost her.
I can hear the vast night, still vaster without her.
And the words settle on my soul like dew on the pasture.
It doesn't matter that my love couldn't keep her.
The night is star-filled and she is not with me.
That's all that matters. Someone is singing far away. Far away.
My soul cannot be content, because I have lost her.
As if they could bring her near, my eyes try to find her.
My heart searches for her, and she is not with me.
The same nightfall whitening the same trees.
But we have both changed so much since that night.
Surely I no longer love her, but how I once loved her.
My voice sought the wind to touch her hearing.
Another's. She will be another's. As before I had kissed her.
Her voice, her pale body. Her endless eyes.
Surely I no longer love her, but maybe I love her.
Love is so short; memories last so long.
Because through nights like tonight I held her in my arms,
my soul cannot be content, because I have lost her.
Even if this is the last pain she makes me suffer,
and this is the last poem that I write for her.


(from: https://www.eskimo.com/~cwj2/writing/tonight.html)



3. American Pastoral



A 2016 American crime-drama directed by Ewan McGregor (directorial debut), based on the 1997 novel by Philip Roth. The film stars McGregor, Dakota Fanning and Jennifer Connelly. The reviews are quite poor. Roth's fans expect to see his novel on the screen completely ignoring the fact, that most of it is unadaptable. Roth's writing has always been full of reflections, deeply internal and often dense. I cannot imagine anyone bringing it on screen. Stripped of these qualities we are left with the story itself, American transformation, the myth of the ideal family, the struggle to find your own way. In that all the actors were superb. Ewan McGregor as a successful and widely loved athlete (I've managed to totally ignore he doesn't really look like one), Jennifer Connelly as an American sweetheart looking for a quiet and comfortable life and Dakota Fanning as a troubled, overly sensitive teenager that gets into trouble and pays a high price for it (not only her though!). What can I say: I've decided to totally ignore the missing parts of Rothian philosophy that we see in practically all his books. Expecting to see that was from the very beginning unfeasible. And I enjoyed the film, the actors and great and moving soundtrack. I enjoyed it so much that I give it 5/5. I know, looks like my opinions are a bit controversial...



Un crimen-drama dirigido por Ewan McGregor (debut como director), basado en la novela de 1997 de Philip Roth. La película está protagonizada por McGregor, Dakota Fanning y Jennifer Connelly. Las críticas son bastante pobres. Los fans de Roth esperaban ver su novela en la pantalla completamente ignorando el hecho de que la mayor parte es inadaptable. La escritura de Roth siempre ha estado llena de reflexiones, profundamente internas y, a menudo densas. No me puedo imaginar a nadie llevandolo a la pantalla. Despojados de estas cualidades nos quedamos con la historia en sí, la transformación de América, el mito de la familia ideal, la lucha para encontrar tu propio camino. Y en eso todos los actores eran excelentes. Ewan McGregor como un atleta exitoso y ampliamente amado (me he arreglado para ignorar totalmente que en realidad no parece un atleta), Jennifer Connelly como una novia americana en busca de una vida tranquila y cómoda y Dakota Fanning como un adolescente con problemas, demasiado sensible que se mete en problemas y paga un alto precio por ello (¡no sólo a ella misma, sin embargo!). ¿Qué puedo decir? He decidido ignorar por completo las partes faltantes de la filosofía Rothiana que vemos en la práctica en todos sus libros. Esperando verla era inviable desde principio. En resultado me gustó mucho la película, los actores y un gran movimiento y banda sonora. Me gustó tanto que le doy 5/5. Ya sé, parece que mis opiniones son un poco controversiales ...

Yes, alone we are, deeply alone, and always, in store for us, a layer of loneliness even deeper. There is nothing we can do to dispose of that. No, loneliness shouldn’t surprise us, as astonishing to experience as it may be. You can try yourself inside out, but all you are then is inside out and lonely instead of inside in and lonely. My stupid, stupid Merry dear, stupider even that your stupid father, not even blowing up buildings helps. It’s lonely if there are buildings and it’s lonely if there are buildings and it’s lonely if there are no buildings. There is no protest to be lodged against loneliness⎯not all the bombing campaigns in history have made a dent in it. The most lethal of manmade explosives can’t touch it. Stand in awe not of Communism, my idiot child, but of ordinary, everyday loneliness.”
― Philip RothAmerican Pastoral




Have you seen any of the films? Or any other that has a clear and visible connection to literature? Please, share it with us in the comments!¿Habeis visto alguna de esas películas? O cualquier otra que tenga una conexión clara y visible con la literatura? Por favor, compartid con nosotros en los comentarios!

Comentarios

  1. Very interesting post. I've seen A quiet Passion and American Pastoral and I totally agree with your comments. However, I think 5/5 for American Pastoral is too high. I will give it 3/5.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thanks Elena! I found it entertaining and didn't expect too much of it, so I was actually positively surprised! But I know many people were disappointed!

      Eliminar

Publicar un comentario